Tuesday, February 21, 2012

THE SECOND AMENDMENT IN MOCK TRIAL


Top Pretrial Attorney
Often I find myself involved in activities that lead me to experiences that I never expected.  I don’t plan for these intersections to occur, but they seem to always find a way! High schools have an event called Mock Trial. Basically, a criminal case is created which the students play the various parts of the court and are judged on their performance by actual attorneys and judges.  I figured this might be an interesting after school-activity, something that would widen my experiences, teach me about our judicial system and give me the opportunity to be out of my comfort zone and try something new.  When I signed up I had no idea about what the case would be or any of the details. Imagine my surprise when I found out that this year the case was a about a person being accused of murder, and a pre-trial motion regarding the legality of the women having possession of a concealed weapon! Concealed weapon...sounds like a Second Amendment case!  You can picture my astonishment when the coach announced that I would be assigned to and in charge of preparing to be the pretrial prosecution attorney. The prosecution was arguing that the conceal carry statute was constitutional, despite preventing many people from having concealed weapons. I actually looked forward to this because I never thought about defending the other side. But as most things in my life, I was headed toward something I never expected.  The coach changed my role to the pretrial defense attorney just a few weeks before the competition! As the pretrial defense attorney, I was presenting a more open view to the Second Amendment.  The Second Amendment, of course, is very important to me! When I heard I would be arguing in court for the Second Amendment right, I was ecstatic. I was able to present my understanding of Second Amendment in a court room and be judged on my ability to present my case, my thoughts my defense of the Second Amendment!  

It’s common for people take for granted the Second Amendment or interpret it to mean something else. It is also common for people take for granted the people and organizations that fight to keep our right intact. Such as the NRA and attorneys like Alan Gura who took the D.C. v. Heller case clear to the Supreme Court.  There have been many court cases to preserve these rights, and one of the most well-known cases is D.C v. Heller. Part of my job as pretrial was to read through past court cases regarding similar issues, such as Heller. It was amazing to read about those cases, like McDonald v. Chicago and Heller -- two Supreme Court cases that successfully outlined the importance of the Second Amendment in modern day America.  See the entire article in Women’s Outdoor News   http://www.womensoutdoornews.com/2012/02/teen-shooter-molly-smith-argues-for-the-second-amendment-in-mock-trial/

1 comment:

  1. Its always good to experience everything that the world has to offer.Believe unplanned things will always turn out to be adventurous.That award portrays how you had fun with the various games you were involved in.Thanks for the information.website clothes

    ReplyDelete