Friday, June 18, 2010

My Friend BJ Norris

"Read the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction!"

One very important thing I learned at the Bianchi cup, was that BJ Norris has to be one of the nicest people at the range. And to throw away thoughts of literal directions and listen to the seasoned competitors. Their heart felt coaching is worth more than anything on paper. 
            Day two of the Bianchi competition, I arrived at the practice range with the "Bianchi for Beginners" instructions in my hands. Yes, the directions! I was going to shoot the Practical Event later that day and figured if I followed the directions…well as the door knob said to Alice, "Read the directions and directly you will be directed in the right direction!" kept going through my mind. (Along with the song “I’m late, I’m late for a very important date”?) 


As you know the couple of hours before a competition is intense with focus and concentration for the shooters, the last thing they need is a newbie (or “New-me”) asking questions!  BJ was due to shoot the Practical Event later that morning, but seeing that I showed up with the directions and was frantically reading he realized he needed to jump into action.  BJ took his practice and focus time to run through it with me... Twice!!! This was beyond friendship, he laughed, smiled and took the time to be sure that I was at ease, comfortable, and confident with the stage!  BJ truly exemplified the meaning of an athlete, a competitor and a friend! 


            Then after the competition, BJ and I went to Steak and Shake to celebrate. We don’t have those in California…my mom and I kept thinking it was Steak and SNAKE…that was interesting. Ummmm yummy snake…not! 

 

2 comments:

  1. Molly, there is an Angel on your shoulder!
    Belle627

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Elle,
    I am happy to report that the Angel is not just on my shoulder but right in front of us! Thank you B.J.

    ReplyDelete