Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Photo by Dave Wilson.
Who is “Millisecond Molly”? I shoot revolvers, pistols, rifles, shotguns and even sling shots! By looking at me, most people would never guess that I love to shoot, but I do.
I’ll tell you why I shoot. First off, it’s the brilliant personalities in the shooting family. It’s the “range” people that really hold my interest. I have been so fortunate to meet so many people from all over the world that have proven to me that we are one big “range” family. It’s the fun that surrounds shooting, it’s the cheerful moods, up-beat characters, and characters in general, its fun times that keep the shooting sport what it is. Now, there’s also the actual shooting… I ask you what’s not fun about shooting paper or steel targets, jumping over hay-bales (okay, not really shooting, but still), out-running R.Os, and flinging those bullets into the middle of the target and doing all that with your friends? I love the excitement when I complete a great string/stage, my squad cheering me on and I feel like I want to do it again and again. And I love watching the other shooters grin, when they get the fantastic run. The ever-present smirk while they re-holster/bag their gun, glance down at the score sheet, and then chuckle.
I am often asked “why a revolver?” Simple, the feeling. It’s totally different when I’m holding my S&W 627 revolver rather than a semi-auto. My *ahem* short stature doesn’t necessarily fit a revolver, but when I finally could get my finger around the trigger, I knew there was no going back. I love the way the trigger feels, being able to pull it back smoothly and feeling the “click…click…” and pause before taking the shot. It kind of gets me caught up in the moment, (or the millisecond)I see my sights aligned, my gun is still, and everything is like it should be. That’s the sort of feeling I can only get with a revolver. And not to mention how the reloads are fun (when necessary), flipping open the cylinder, grabbing a moon clip, tossing it in, and flipping it closed, done in milliseconds. Even if I take up different firearms, I know I’ll always be shooting my revolver.
I love being a junior shooter, guess I’ll stay one for a while! There is so much encouragement from the “seasoned shooters”. First or hundredth time out shooting, juniors are always met with a welcoming smile, always a story or two of the “old ‘en days” and always a bit of information, a suggestion or a perception. If it was not for the adult “seasoned shooters” the Junior Shooters would not have their experiences and the lessons to learn from! Besides it’s fun being able to bug them about kid things! And then, if you can get away with it, there is always the stolen opportunity to roll down the berms in a barrel….shhhhh!
Juniors just need to go for it! Know that they can do it, accept any and all suggestions, and put into practice the ones that work. Junior shooters are very blessed to have a “range family” and honor them for their knowledge and expertise. Mine is the GREATEST, and guess what… they are yours too!
Happy Shooting!
Published in Junior Shooters Volume 6 Winter 2009. Check it out at www.juniorshooters.net under the header ARTICLES

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could fit in a barrel I'd roll down the berms too. You remind us of being kids again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, you are wise beyond your years. The range family is huge. Where else can pre-teens and octogenarians and everyone inbetween get together and enjoy the same sport?

    You are the future.

    -kaveman

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaveman,
    Octogenarian = 80 year olds! So glad there's Wikipedia. The biggest reason why I love this sport is the "people" no one is focusing on age just the fun. Molly

    ReplyDelete