Wednesday, August 19, 2009

THE STEEL CHALLENGE! OH YEA!

Elliott and Annette Aysen

What an incredible weekend I had. The Steel Challenge was the BEST. My mom says my revolver is still “smoking!” I finished 8th out of 18 revolver shooters, all kindred spirits! I reached my goal to beat my personal best score shooting the main match with my revolver (over ten seconds off my last score!) And I am gaining on John Bagakis! Shhh, here’s a secret: Tina, his girlfriend sent me text messages cheering me on! Re-match next year John ? Same hot, dusty place, same hot dusty time!
The weekend just flew by…way too short. I did get some time to talk to some of the kids that stopped by with their parents to see what the Steel Challenge was all about. What a privilege it was when they came and asked me, “Are you Molly Smith?” I was so honored to tell them about the match, what goes on when I shoot, and where the bathrooms and vending machines are! No, there are no vending machines but there are “shooting machines” and I directed them on the really good shooters. Every time I watch really good shooters, I pay attention to their stance, their hand placement and look at how they focus and prepare for their turn. I’ve heard that term poetry in motion, well to watch these shooters execute it is amazing! They look so graceful when the shoot. I just look short, or as one man said, a “boy”…”Well, let the young man go first!” “Come right up here son” That was awkward, but really funny! (Everybody else thought it was funny enough…)
The awards ceremony was very nice. When I walked in my friend Annette Aysen gave me a bouquet of tulips, tulips are my favorite flowers. Her husband Elliott gave me a Speed-E-Rack to hold my moon clips. Moon clips are little round discs with notches in them. They hold your bullets together for quick loading and unloading. The Speed-E-Rack holds the moon clips on your waist so you don’t have to fumble around in your pockets for them. I think the best part of the awards ceremony was the look on my brothers face when I gave him the prize list and told him he could have what ever he wanted that was left when they call my name. He is thrilled with his new rifle bag (it is a really nice, super, deluxe one)!
Over all, Steel Challenge this year was amazing, and maybe next year I’ll shoot two guns in the main match - Iron Revolver and Open Auto! I’ll keep you posted.

Yamil took this picture of my friend Phil Strader
Yamil took this picture of a casing, click on the pic to enlarge! That is my Friend BJ Norris in the Background!

6 comments:

  1. Hi Molly!

    Thanks for posting the picture of Chris and Don! Those guys are the coolest dudes on the planet!

    Love,
    Chris and Don

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Molly!

    Thanks for posting the picture of Chris and Don! Those guys are the coolest dudes on the planet!

    Love,
    Chris and Don

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the wonderful world of the shooting sports young lady.

    It's great to see youngsters getting into the sport.

    -kaveman

    ReplyDelete
  4. [...] Gun Blogger Rendezvous IV updates [...]

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shootin'

    Stay safe and keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete