Monday, May 25, 2009

A Little Bird Told Me


At the SLOSA range the birds are fairly tame. They are used to landing on the cows which surround the range and don’t seem to give much of a thought as the bullets wiz by them; they tend to zip away when the shooting starts. My friend Eric Leach (who doesn’t know yet, but I’m his long lost {annoying} little sister), is very patient. The birds sit on his targets and he waits, often shooting all the targets around him until they fly away, this can delay his time in a timed match. Last week, one bird was so stubborn and would not fly away even as the bullets wizzed by. This got me to thinking, what would a little sister do to torment a brother shooter? A fake annoying bird! What else? So I, as the group was preparing for the match yesterday, snuck off to the bay that Eric would be shooting on. There, I found really stretchy tape and taped a fake bird to the top of one of his steel targets. Let me just say that the day before this adventure I sent Eric a text message, simply saying “Tweet, Tweet, and Tweet!” As Eric shot every target except the one where the cursed bird was perched, I could see the tension building. So Eric hit that target, just an inch or so away from the fake bird, still thinking the bird was real, he hit the target again, and again. The bird did not flinch! At this point we were all laughing so hard, but the joke was still on Eric. Once he caught on that someone played a trick on him and the bird was fake he shot the fake bird, but the stretchy tape kept the bird on and it bounced back up. So Eric shot it again, but it still bounced right back up. We all got a good laugh and the squad continued to shoot. After our squad was done, I ran down range and retrieved the fake bird. Eric was well on his way to the next stage so it was my best opportunity yet…..I stuck the fake bird on his truck antenna I wonder how long it took before he noticed?

1 comment:

  1. Next time in california I am signing up for your squad. Your squads have all the fun.

    ReplyDelete