Sunday, January 11, 2009

Beauty....Personality and Character

For my very first blog posting I want to ask the question what is beauty? I wonder how many people would think that a 12 year old, shooting steel targets or anyone else shooting a gun for that matter, could be beautiful. There are adults and kids too that are offended by this sport. It must be because they don’t know about the sport, I’m always eager to talk to them about it and the people I know who shoot. I’ve seen beauty and generosity in so many shooters - they are role models for the sport. Their kindness, their jokes, their smile, their patience with a most terrifying thing…a brand new kid shooter (a very scary creature), and most of all their love of a sport is beautiful.
Beauty is a word meaning “a quality that pleases the senses or the mind” according to Webster’s Dictionary. To me beauty is more. I wonder how many people look to one another and see a deeper beauty, a deeper quality; personality and character. Personality and character is a person’s treasure and prize, it is their beauty. Personality and character show who they are. Being “beautiful” in modern day socity has so much importance, and many meanings. For some people looking in the mirror they see only their flaws. If only they could stop thinking about blemishes and start thinking about the good qualities they have, like good grades, a nice smile, beautiful eyes, or being able to shoot a steel target in less than 30 seconds. Thinking about their good qualities will improve their self-confidence, and how they feel about their “outer beauty.” People have insecurities, and that’s normal; it’s sad that people make a commotion over them.
When I think about the people I have met shooting, dusty and dirty, big goggles, earphones, hats messing up their hair, and those weird poses and faces they make when they are aiming, I know they are beautiful. They don’t care what they look like on the outside, they are focused on the inside, they focus on shooting the best they can, and focus on enjoying the sport of shooting. The fact that they don’t care if their hair’s messed up, is beauty in itself! They make me want to be the best I can be. I’m lucky; I’ve found beautiful people at a very unusual place, the shooting range. Tell me your thoughts.

7 comments:

  1. Molly,
    I really enjoyed your posting. I am going to vote for the most beautiful shooter too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is Great to know you are enjoying the sport. Keep up the good work and the blog, I will be looking at it often to hear of your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly!!!!!

    I remember shooting a match with big rectangular plates that were onlt 9 yards away and I missed them! I guess you could say I was in the Bozo-zone... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mollllllyyyy!!!

    I shot a match where the big rectangular plates were only nine yards away and I missed them!

    I guess you could say I was in the Bozo-zone...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Molly from your friendly SLOSA Range Safety
    Officer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooooo! I'm only 12! Oooooo! I'm sooo cuuute! Ooooo! I can out shoot you any day of the week!

    Oh sure...rub it in!!

    (Dave, from the range :D )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings Molly,

    Just discovered your blog. I added it to my blogroll(over at http://nugun.wordpress.com).

    I would love to read a post detailing how you got involved in shooting competitively, and also how you learned to shoot.

    I am a father with a 2-yr old daughter. That I hope to teach how to shoot and maybe even compete. So I'd love any tips and advice you might have. Especially curious as to when other younger shooters started their training.

    ReplyDelete